Southwest Florida retailers spend a considerable amount of time and money marketing their small businesses on social media. Is this effort paying off?
Each month, according to Nielsen, 586,000 SWFL adults use Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. This equates to 62.7% of consumers. This reach is rather anemic compared to Fort Myers radio and TV, which attracts considerably more users in a single week than these social media platforms do over 30 days.
The number of consumers reached by an advertising campaign, according to Nielsen, is the media consideration that has the most significant effect on increasing sales.
A recent report from Rival IQ, a company specializing in the analysis of social media data, shows a retailer's investment of time and money in Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter marketing may not be producing the powerful results hoped for.
The report shows that engagement with social media posts by retail brands range from .031% to .67%, depending on the platform. Engagements measured include likes, comments, favorites, retweets, shares, replies, and reactions.
According to the Rival IQ report, social media engagement among retail brands was far below each platform's median rate across all business types.
If SWFL small business owners do use social media as part of their advertising and marketing plans, then they should consider the following takeaways from the Rival IQ report:
- It's All About Giveaways: Contests and giveaways were popular hashtags across almost every industry, so brands should seek out opportunities to engage followers with contests.
- Carousels are key for Instagram: Carousels lead to high engagement across all industries, so brands should look for opportunities to combine photos into carousels. Why? Instagram carousels get re-served to users who don’t engage the first time, earning them more impressions.
More Advertising Advice For SWFL Small Business Owners
- Southwest Florida Mortgage Lenders and Brokers Need To Advertise Now
- Small Business Advertising In Southwest Florida: Target The Spenders
- SWFL Retail Boom: How Your Small Business Can Benefit
- Advertising On Fort Myers Television vs. Local Radio
- Marketing To Millennial Parents In Southwest Florida
- Why Southwest Florida Used Car Dealers Need To Advertise Now
- Advertising In Fort Myers: Reach Mother's Day Shoppers