The National Retail Federation forecasts that in 2020, sales will increase by as much as 4.1%. This will create another $931 million for local small business owners.
“The economy is growing at a more modest pace, but the underlying economic fundamentals remain in place and are positive,” stated NRF chief economist Jack Kleinhenz. “Consumers remain upbeat and have the confidence to spend, and the steady wage growth that has come with the strong job market is fueling their spending. The state of the consumer is very healthy.
To claim a fair share of this enlarged pool of spending will require Fort Myers-Naples small business owners to advertise.
“Think you have a great product?” asks the U.S. Small Business Administration. “Unfortunately, no one’s going to know about it unless you advertise.”
A study by Nielsen of effective advertising campaigns revealed that reach was the media element that produced the greatest lift in sales. Reach is defined as the number of different people who are exposed to an advertiser's message.
Of all media options available to SWFL retailers, the best way to achieve reach is by advertising on local radio.
Every week, nearly 90% of all adult consumers tune-in to a Fort Myers radio station. This is significantly more than are reached by local TV, social media, newspaper, or streaming media sites like Pandora and Spotify.
This is especially true among SWFL millennials, who account for 30% of all retail spending. Despite some misconceptions, local radio reaches more members of this generation every week than all other media.
If a local retailer owner chooses not to advertise, then they do so at considerable financial peril. Based on business category, here is how many more dollars Fort Myers area consumers will spend this year versus last year:
- Radio, TV & Other Electronics Stores: $13,190,480
- Department Stores: $17,597,160
- Furniture & Household Appliance Stores: $23,823,920
- Health & Personal Care: $47,563,680
- Clothing & Accessories: $58,602,680
- Building & Material Supply: $61,559,280
- Food Services & Drinking Establishments: $103,397,920
- Grocery Stores: $106,272,040
- General Merchandise: $111,072,560
- Food & Beverage Stores: $115,687,400
- Motor Vehicle & Parts Dealers: $225,945,360
More Advertising Advice For Fort Myers Small Business Owners
- Advertising On Fort Myers Television vs. Local Radio
- Marketing To Millennial Parents In Southwest Florida
- Why Southwest Florida Used Car Dealers Need To Advertise Now
- Advertising In Fort Myers: Reach Mother's Day Shoppers
- What Southwest Florida Consumers Listen To On Their Smart Speakers
- How To Advertise Insurance Products To Fort Myers Consumers